Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas 2008

What a lovely holiday it was. This year (like every year) we celebrated Christmas Eve with Mr. Smith's family. They have always celebrated with a big dinner, extended family and presents so beautifully wrapped you don't want to mess them up by opening them. When you do open them they are filled with wonderful prizes and your package ruining sadness is gone.

The dinner, as usual, was delicious. With turkey, ham, spinach salad and lots of munchies and yummies. One of the great things about Christmas eve at their house is that we are all too excited to get up stairs and open presents that every one forgets about dessert and so the Mom sends us home with a whole pecan pie to ourselves. OH MY, her pecan pie!

Our fairly new tradition (it started with Omi maybe 5 years ago) is a "BLESSINGS" reading done by someone. This year it was from Aunt B. She only made me cry a little. Darn her. She had a thankful for every one of us in her letter. I love that lady. I have a tear just remembering it.

Here is the puppet princess Aunt B gave the Rubes. It sings "twinkle twinkle, little star" when you move the mouth. It is very cute, and not very annoying.


After the blessings reading, Aunt Debbie presented grandfahr with the uniform he wore for the Veterans day fireside (November blog) when he was presented with some medals and awards. Debbie worked and researched and had put on all Grandfahrs bars and patches and medals he had earned in his service.
Here is Debbie reading about all of it. She made me cry just a little bit too. Darn her also.

Then it was present time. Gwen and Grandfahr had a treasure hunt for Elasta Girl to find her present. How fun is that? They gave Rubes a magnet dress up doll set that she loves and HAD to play with right that second.

This is from Aunt Kennon and Aunt Chris to Elasta Girl. We would have rather seen them but the present is still super cool. It is already hanging in her room.

And since the presents were all opened Elasta Girl decided to dress up in the left over wrapping paper. She was strutting her stuff like a regular super model.

Christmas eve was wonderful and great. We got to see SOME of our lovely loved ones. Grandma Ewart was there all the way from Arizona, I didn't get a picture of her. In fact I didn't get A LOT of pictures of a lot of people I needed to. Darn me. The kids (like always) fell asleep on the way home so I put out the Santa treats and reindeer snacks. Then got right into bed so Santa could come (wink Wink).

We hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas Eve. The Christmas day will be posted later. Since it is almost time for church. tootles

3 comments:

Jesse's girl said...

We missed this so much!!!!! Next year! We had ham with my parents just now, and Jesse made Heidi's delicious mustard sauce. He was so sweet and wonderful in helping me getting ready to receive them (it actually feels like I'm the one who was helping him!)! We had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to spending next one with all of you! One sad thing: I got him a nice present (Playstation 3!!!) that got somewhat damaged in the box. We'll be heading to the store tomorrow to replace it. Love!!!!!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

That Mr. Smith's Momma--she takes the cake for beautiful things, beautiful wrapping--I am sad the re-gifting lime-green-with-hot-pink-edges ribbon is no longer in the re-wrapping between you and me--and her food is always the best. I'm glad you had such a lovely time. SHE is NOT shopping Christmas Eve. I need lessons. Seriously. Lessons. For reals. Do you think she would take me under her wing?

Unknown said...

Thank you for the pics from home! I missed being there so much, and your pictures and description helped me feel like I got to experience it a bit. I love the picture of Maddy in her paper. I swear, we have the cutest girls ever. I cannot wait until next year when we can be there too!!!

xo,

Tierney