Saturday, November 15, 2008

Daddy Daughter date...

I told you I'd write about the Daddy Daughter date, I never said I'd post a picture. (but only because I didn't take any. whoopsie)

It was a pretty great evening. All but one of my girls came. One came all dolled up in her church clothes with glitter and everything. (we don't actually wear glitter to church) she was quite a sight. We started out with dinner, 4 different soups, rolls, fancy bread sticks, the customary baby carrots and dip and 4 kinds of rice krispyish treats. It was all yum.

I was in charge of welcoming everyone and assigning a prayer...now who do you think I asked to pray? That's right, I asked my husband. I had to get him back for EVERY TIME we have family or friends over and he asks me to say the prayer. Some times I just look at him and say "OKAY" before he has a chance to ask me. That's when I think I'm SO funny.

So after the prayer we ate and then we played a game, all the girls and dads sat in a (almost) circle and the other teacher said stuff like "have you driven in a truck today? and if they had they ran and grabbed a candy out of a bowl in the middle of the circle. You wouldn't think this game would be fun but seeing grown men racing for dum dum suckers and starbursts is pretty entertaining.

When that was finished we played my game. Country music Charades. It was a hit. I had about 25 different songs some from way back and current ones too, they had to act it out for the rest of the group to guess. Now when MY dad and I did this at MY Daddy Daughter Date 100 years ago, our song was "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds" and my dad actually did a somersault and got a rug burn on his poor bald head. Well, the Dad that got that one made his daughter do it instead. What is the matter with Dads today?

We did a craft after the charades. It was cutting out a bunch of leaves from paper and a tree shape from poster board. Then you (with your family) write what you are thankful for on the leaves and tape them on the tree. This was the other teachers idea and she does every year with her family at Thanksgiving. She has saved the leaves from every year which I think is so cute. Some of them just have pictures drawn because her kids were too small to write. I think I'll start this in our family. She makes a tree big enough to tape on to a door.

We were finished after the tree craft and even better while they were cutting out the leaves and trees all us leaders cleaned up so we were pretty much finished by the time they were. It was 2 hours from beginning to end. I am not dead or even dog tired. It was a great night.

The End

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

It sounds like you had a fun, fun time. I wish I could have been there to see the men on the dum dum run. What a great Achievement Day leader you are. I'm so very proud of my girl. But no photos? Oh my.