Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day Celabration

On Sunday night Mighty M and I went with his parents to a Veterans Day Fireside held at the Brigham City Tabernacle in Brigham City, Utah. (Thanks Megs for watching the girls for us) It was in honor of all Veterans but for us it was in honor of one great and wonderful Man, Mighty M's Grandfather, Max Weaver. Here he is with his cute new bride Gwen.


The Fireside started out with patriotic songs from the Brigham City choir. Then remarks by a Major General and if I would have known about the printed programs I would have written his real actual name. More singing songs then, the most important part of the evening, the passing out of medals awarded to the Veterans. These men fought for our country but never had a ceremony to receive their awards. There were about 15 or 20 men standing tall and proud. Here are some of them. That's Grandfahr with the bunches of white hair second from the left. He was by far the cutest one up on the stage. Sorry about the dark pictures.




They also had the men stand as the choir sang their "theme song" I don't think it's a theme song but Heidi called it that so it must be good. Anyway, you get the idea.



Here is a close up of him on stage with my mediocre camera. (the picture taker isn't that great either) Sorry about the head chop. You couldn't tell this night but Grandfahr has a not so great back and has a hard time standing, let alone completely straight up for long periods of time. Not that night. He was regal, strong and handsome as the dickens.

The medals he received that night were the Bronze Star, The Korean War Service Medal and the Combat Infantry Badge. He fought in WWII and the Korean War.

Here is a picture of him and his girls. Jackie (far left) Grandfahr, Debbie next to him and lastly (and my favorite girl) Mighty M's mom Heidi.

It was a great night, and I'm so glad we got to share Grandfahr's important night with him. I am so grateful to be part of his wonderful family. And I couldn't love him more if he were my real actual Grandpa. Plus I know he loves me just the same.

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. I have never met a finer person. I am so happy you married into this truly remarkable family. You did well.